Monday, January 18, 2010

Shark Steam Mop Review


As promised, I'm back with a review of my new Shark Steam Mop.  Overall, it's a good product, and I'll definitely get some use out of it.  However, it's not the miracle product that I was hoping it would be.  Here's why:
  • It does not remove sticky disgusting stuff on the floor.  I tried using the steam function to get rid of some mystery spots, but it wasn't effective.  Now I have to go back with some cleaner and a rag to really get rid of the spots.
  • It doesn't pick up EVERYTHING.  This is largely my fault.  I did not sweep the floor before using the mop, so I ended up pushing a lot of bigger icky things around with the mop.  So, now I'm in the market for a super stick vacuum that I can use to pre-clean the floors before mopping.
The really good stuff about the mop:
  • No chemicals.  It just uses water and steam made from the water.
  • No buckets or wringing out mops.  I hate that.
  • It's fast.  It took me about 10 minutes to mop my kitchen.  Nice!
  • You can wash the microfiber cloths.
  • I tried it out a little bit with my hardwood floors, and it looked great afterwards.
  • It's small and light.
The more I write about the mop, the more I like it.  As for the fun factor...it's not a totally good time, but it's not bad either.  I'd compare it to an after-work party after all of the bosses have left.

Does anyone else use this mop?  Any tips for a newbie like myself?

5 comments:

  1. Boo to cleaning floors! I hate it too! However, I do like our Hoover FloorMate. It has a dry vac function as well as a wet vac function. Plus, of course it has the scrub function. I like that all the steps are in one machine. However, does your vacuum have a bare floor setting? You could use that before you use the Shark Mop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does, but my vacuum is such a beast!! I'm sort of afraid to use it on my hard-wood floors too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same mixed feelings about my steam mop. It doesn't scrub as well as I had hoped, although I love the fact that my floors are sanitized. I definitely have to sweep before I use it though because we have cats so the mop just balls up the hair into wet clumps--gross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poo. Ok, then what I would do is sweep with a dry Swiffer first. They are super quick and work great! I use mine for nightly sweeps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this too!! I like it OK for my wood floors but like you I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a miracle worker. It is great for bathroom floors, but I'm not a fan of it for my dark hardwood that we have in the bedroom...it leaves some streaks and they are not as shiny as I would like. If I wouldn't have bought it I wouldn't miss it :(

    ReplyDelete