Wednesday, September 7, 2011

In Search of Organic Meat & Fish

Lately there's been a lot of publicity about the benefits of eating organic.  Especially since the movie Food Inc. was publicized on the Oprah Winfrey show, it seems as if interest in eating organic has become even more wide-spread.

I tend to be a tad cheap when it comes to buying groceries.  However, I'm convinced that it's worth the extra money to spend more on quality ingredients.  One thing I'd like to do is try to eat at least one meatless meal each week.  We've also tried to incorporate more fish into our diets. 

But it's all so confusing!  I thought we were being super healthy by eating salmon once a week, and then I read that if you're eating Atlantic salmon as opposed to Alaskan salmon, you're doing your body more harm than good because of all the chemicals.  Since I've learned this, I've noticed that it can be downright difficult to find Alaskan salmon!

Chicken is a whole different story.  I'm able to find organic chicken at a very high price at my local Whole Foods.  But I wonder, is the chicken that is labeled as being grown with no hormones just as good?  It's certainly a lot cheaper.

As with many things, there's a ton of conflicting information out there about what should be organic, and what doesn't need to be.  I don't know who to believe.  Who has the facts, and who is trying to employ scare-tactics in order to make a buck?

Clearly, I don't have the answers to this one.  But if anyone out there has any ideas on this topic, please comment away!

No comments:

Post a Comment